"Get ready for rapid expansion"
Here is a recap of a recent internal Nikon presentation - a lot of interesting information:
- Nikon plans to have 24 different Z-mount lenses by the end of 2021 (see roadmap).
- The Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and the two new Z converters have the same release date: within 30 days (end of August or early September).
- The two new Z converters will only work with the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 Z mount lens (Adorama | B&H | Amazon). Later, the two teleconverters will work with the 100-400mm and 200-600mm lenses shown on the lens roadmap (total of 3 lenses so far).
- The D500, D5, D850 DSLR cameras will get a firmware update for CFexpress memory cards, just like the Z6 and Z7.
- The Nikkor "S-Line" of Z-mount lenses are Nikon's superior/best lenses and are like the gold ring F-mount lenses.
- The 200-600mm and 100-400mm and 105mm macro are the three new lenses that will most likely be announced next year.
- The upcoming Nikkor Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S-line lens has three rings: focus, zoom, and "Freedom" ring. The "Freedom" ring can be set up in a different way (change ISO setting and other settings). The lens will be released by the end of the year.
- DSLR has about 65% of the light hitting the sensor. The mirrorless bodies have 90% of the light hitting the sensor.
- How long will Nikon continue to support the F-mount? The response: F-mount has been around since 1959 and Nikon is not planning to walk away from F-mount because DSLR bodies are better for certain types of photography (better than mirrorless), for example: sports, car racing, erratic movements like BIF. Nikon does not see any changes to F-mount in the next 5 to 7 years (at least).
- The Nikon FTZ adapter is again on sale with the Z50 for $49.95 (Adorama | B&H). The FTZ adapter special offers/sales will continue to cycle on and off.
- Nikon's DSLR volume sales are higher than mirrorless sales.
- More Nikon mirrorless cameras are coming (obviously).
- Nikon's focus group found that 45% of Nikon owners use their DSLR and mirrorless cameras for video.
- The Nikon Z series of cameras will get a firmware update for the Picture Controls found on the D6, D5, D780.
- Nikon will release the new EN-EL15C battery within 30 days (Adorama | B&H | Amazon). It will provide significantly more battery life (power) for mirrorless cameras and will be usable on the D6, D5, D850, D750, and other DSLRs bodies. The battery comes standard on the Nikon Z5.
- Nikon added the second memory card to the Nikon Z5 due to consumer requests.
- Weather sealing on all Z-mount mirrorless cameras is as good as DSLR cameras.
- The Nikon Z5 front is made from magnesium alloy with top and back made from other materials. All other Z mount mirrorless cameras are all magnesium alloy.
The post Recap of recent Nikon presentation: 24 Nikkor Z mount lenses by the end of 2021, F-mount will continue, Nikon DSLR sales still higher than mirrorless appeared first on Nikon Rumors.
- Nikon Nikkor Z mirrorless lens lineup: 11 lenses available now, 12 more to come by 2021
- Sony’s presentation shows that Nikon Z mount is capable of f/0.58 lenses
- Updated Nikon Z mirrorless lens roadmap (a total of 23 Z lenses by 2021)